Those standards enable the state-of-the-art certification in the translation / interpretation industry from one of the biggest certification bodies in Europe. It’s a must for professionals in those fields to show the highest qualification level and providing absolute qualitative services, certified by a neutral and accredited third party. Further details in next separate posting on this page.
– Agencies submit commercial register
– Freelancers (translators/interpreters as OPE, One Person Enterprise) should meet at least one of the following criteria:
a) a recognized graduate qualification in translation from an institution of higher education;
b) a recognized graduate qualification in any other field from an institution of higher education, plus
two years of full-time professional experience in translating/interpreting;
c) Five years of full-time professional experience in translating/interpreting.
How long would the certificate be valid?
– 6 years for agencies, and 3 years for individuals, always by a yearly maintenance audit. However, it finally depends on the evaluation and estimation of the responsible Lead Auditor.
Very important: Freelancers should submit a certificate on project management, preferably in translation project management (online courses from Alison, Coursera or any other international providers can also be accepted).
– Agencies 2-4 h
– Freelancers 1-2 h
– Just an interview to make sure the submitted documentation and qualification proof meet the prerequisites of the related standard. All aspects of the audit questions are listed in the certification scheme. Click here to download ISO 18587 certification scheme
1- submitting an application form (use the link below) to the Middle East Manager and Lead Auditor, Dr. Mohamed-Ali Ibrahim:
email@example.com (in case the link does not work, kindly send an email)
(After submitting the application and all qualification proofs you get from your Lead Auditor an answer within 48 hours, detailing whether you’re qualified for the certification audit or not. In case you’re qualified, your Lead Auditor starts the certification process and will communicate with you until you become ready for the on-site visit).
2- studying the certification scheme:
3- creating the handbook, gathering the needed qualification evidence and send all to firstname.lastname@example.org
The handbook includes your company profile, working fields and languages, authority registration sheet (or tax sheet) in case of a TSP, qualification and competences of all the team members, working procedures according to the points listed in the document “Certification Scheme”, which is created for your orientation on how to fulfill the standard requirements
4- contact the Lead Auditor who shall check the documentation and qualifications, and give his/her feedback. The candidate should modify the documentation accordingly, and re-send until an approval is obtained.
5- based on the approval concerning the submitted documentation, the Lead Auditor, suggests a date for the site visit
6-based on the site visit/interviews the Lead Auditor submits the audit report to the Certification Body recommending issuing the certificate, in case everything is OK
7-within 2-4 weeks the candidate receives his/her certificate from the certification body.
– Yes in case of OPE, some short translations to deliver a final proof of your professional qualification. The test lasts about an hour.
– Agencies: EUR 3500 – 5000 depending on the company size + traveling costs.
The final total costs depend on the real size of the company including management, administration, project managers, freelancers and in-house translators. You have to define the Number of those 5 groups in the application form. Your Lead Auditor will interview all of your team members and representatives of your freelancers.
– Freelancer: EUR 480 + traveling costs, if needed
These are the fees for the initial audit including registration, documentation check, site visit and certificate issuing fees. There’s a surveillance audit in the 2nd and 3rd years; fees are about 20% less than the above mentioned initial fees. Afterward, we conduct an initial audit again, etc.
Dealing with common CAT tools like Trados or MemoQ
All recognized certifications, e.g., proz, ATA or the certificates of the National Translators Associations.
common contents including personal data, time frame, job specification and general statements in this regards.
– No. We do not certify your translating or interpreting language pair. We certify that you are doing this by fulfilling all the international standard criteria. No matter which languages you are dealing with. The submitted audit documentation and the qualification evidence must be in English or Arabic language.
Face-to-face interviews with the management and team members. A site visit must be arranged to inspect the infrastructure and work environment etc.
Not a must in case of OPE, but as a TSP, yes.
Not as certifications of course, but will be considered by the evaluation of your qualification.
Not a must in case of OPE, but as a TSP, yes.
In addition to purchasing a copy of ISO 17100 document, what are the fees required for other services (the audit, certificate, visits)? The total fees for all services of OPE € 430,00 including traveling costs (partly), registration fees, site visit and certificate issuing fee.
Upon completion of your documentation (theoretical part), we agree to arrange for an interview date according to the trip plan of the auditor.
Should not exceed a limit of 6 months.
See above answers.
Yes, best case is that your reviser(s) is(are) also certified.
The registration starts if you are qualified, for checking your application you have to pay € 40. And How much should I pay the registration fees Only? Application fees: see above. After the registration you should settle a downpayment of at least € 200, rest amount at least 2 weeks before the audit date.
Best case your reviser is also certified, if not he/she must fulfill all requirements according to the standard.
- University certificates
- Experience & recommendation letters
- All certificates of professional training and CPDs
- Handbook (the above points + following the certification scheme)
- The certification audit consists of 2 parts. First one is checking your documentation, but no way to move to part II if your documentation is incomplete. Part II is the face-to-face interview. Of course, you can retry if you fail.
- The required documentation to be sent along with the application to check and decide if you are qualified or not.
( as I have a self-learning approach) It helps by the decision on your qualification, We need from you something in the field of project management, as a face-to-face training or even online courses from recognized online training providers like Alison or Coursera, which enhances your self-learning approach too.
3 would be the minimum.
No test required more information about this stage will be appreciated. All the questions of the audit (face-to-face interview) are based on your documentation, especially handbook, your working procedures and the certification scheme (link to download above).
GET TO KNOW BEFORE YOU DECIDE
Frequently Asked Questions
If You Can’t Find Your Answer Here, Don’t Hesitate To Contact Us.